The PA Shaw just opened this school year and, for the 2014-2015 school year, has K0, K1 and K2 classrooms (3, 4 and 5 year olds). It is an Expeditionary Learning school that is part of Boston Public Schools under the leadership of Principal Akosua Osei-Bobie.
- Emphasis on hands-on learning
- Interdisciplinary learning centers, such as the Block Area, Dramatization Center, and Art Studio
- Instruction in small groups where teachers help students build basic skills
- OWL and Building Blocks programs for K0 and K1: research-based curricula to give our youngest students a strong foundation in literacy, math, and social skills
- Four extended themes during the school year in K2: Our Community, Animals and Habitats, Construction, and Our Earth.
- Long-term projects that allow children to go deeply into what they are learning
- Focus on guiding students to become good citizens and members of a community